Congratulations for finally deciding on building your very own crafting project. You would be starting to explore a wonderful of handicraft and this is just the start. Your choice of starting with making a breadbox is an excellent one. These boxes are relatively small and easy to construct as compared with other projects. It would also not require a great amount of woodworking skills or experience.
A breadbox is more than just a storage space for baked products. It is also useful for preventing these products from going stale too soon and for reducing the amount of clutter that you might have in the kitchen.
- You will need 2 pieces of wood that are 12 inch x 15 inch x1/4 inch, 2 pieces of wood that are 12 inch x 9 inch x1/4 inch and some wood glue, 2 pieces of wood that are 12 inch x 18inch x1inch 2 pieces, 2 hinges, knob and some screws.
- Lay one of the 12 inch x 15 inch pieces of wood in front of you. Put some wood glue on the side of the piece and be careful not to be too messy.
- Now place that are 12 inch x 9 inch pieces of wood to the side of the piece where you have applied the glue to form a U shape that is nine inches high.
- Put some glue on the U-shaped piece, at its bottom. Place the 18 inch piece of wood on the table and take the U shaped one that you have then press it down on the piece that is on the table. Now take the other 18 inch piece, apply some glue to it and then press it down on the other side.
- Allow the glue to dry for a couple of house.
- Once the glue has dried, then you can start applying the hinges to the piece and then attaching the last piece of wood that you have to it.
- You can then attach the knob and other decorative pieces that you would like to place on it. There are some ready breadbox pieces that you can get which can save you time.
- Now your box is ready to use.
Maple would look really good for this kind of project. Now you have to remember that once mould gets to wood, it would be very difficult to get rid of them. It is therefore important that you do not allow bread to grow mouldy inside the box.